Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why We Don't See Ourselves As Others See Us

Because others are unreliable observers of ourselves, that's why.

Or are they?

I was chatting the other day with a person of unquestioned niceness and good judgment who said that she and her husband had been watching a documentary on the rise of Barack Obama.

"We agreed that he sounds a lot like you," she said.

I'd never heard that one before.  But what next scaped her lips was even more surprising.

"We also think the two of you look a lot alike."

"But he has a tiny roundy head," I said.  "And mine  .  .  .  ," I didn't have to finish the sentence, as it is neither tiny nor roundy.

"Well," she said, "oval." 

 Hmm. 

You know  .  .  .  maybe she's got something there. 

I wonder where my birth certificate is.

1 comment:

  1. If you need someone to verify where you were born, I might be able to help you out on that. I was there.

    ReplyDelete